Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
elsew

Default teaching

The most important thing I ever was taught is accurate measuring. This makes for a lot less
frustration. One tidbit I pass on to everyone is when you need to use the bathroom do it, you can almost bet that one more thing you do will need to be ripped out!1
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler View Post
Thanks for all the advice!! My 'goal' for this class is to make it fun. I think my thing that I will stress is learning how to do an accurate 1/4" seam. I like Eleanor Burn's method of teaching it (sewing strips together & measuring). I'll be bringing magnets to attach to their machine (all vintage ones are iron), so once they're set up they just need to keep their fabric against it. HOPEFULLY most people will actually know how to use their machine (never thought of that!) since it IS a sewing machine conference. They will have the rest of the weekend to work on their project, and I'll be around to help them if they need it. The pattern is really simple (all squares and rectangles) and it LOOKS complicated but it isn't. My 10-year-old is even taking the class on her old hand crank. It's always a very laid-back atmosphere every year, so maybe we'll sew and eat and talk and sew and eat... I'd really hate to scare anyone away from learning to quilt. My motto will be "No worries!" OR "Sew what???".

Thanks again,
Trina