Thread: BSR foot
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 PM
LucyInTheSky

Originally Posted by Maride
I love my BSR but am not using it much lately. Somehow it intimidates me a little and when I use it I try to forget is there. The main thing to remember when using it is that you need to reduce the lenght of the stitches to around 1.5.

When you first start doing FMQ, your stitches are very uneven and the BSR helps correct that, because if you move the fabric fast the needle goes up and down fast, and if you slow down so do the needle. If at this point you find that you stitches are even without the BSR, the only thing I can say is that you have conquered FMQ and probably don't really need the BSR. It is always good to have it, because if you don't do it for a while and want to get back to it, it will help you get even stitches again until you retrain yourself.

Maria
Hi Maria,

Thank you for your comments.

Stitches have to be at 1.5? Did not know that...

I understand the idea of the BSR, but does it really make the needle move faster or slower depending on how fast I move the fabric? Not to sound silly, but doesn't my foot on the pedal do that?

And, no, I have uneven stitches with and without the BSR. They seem to get longer and shorter regardless of using it or not (yes, I know, slow down, and practice).

I noticed that when I used my regular free motion foot when the BSR was MIA, the more I worked, the better the stitching got (that whole practice makes perfect thing). And same thing with the BSR - the more I worked, the better. But at first, or when I was annoyed, the stitches were still uneven and the foot didn't seem to help at all :(