Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by PBobbin13 View Post
Hello. I am cleaning up a beautiful lady I've dubbed Madame Martha after the woman who gifted me with this beautiful machine. It's an Eldredge improved model B treadle. So far have mostly worked on her finish which is coming to life after lots of elbow grease. I finally was able to get the head lifted up to search for treasure in the belly of the cabinet - and found two more bobbins giving me a total of five. They need to be cleaned with Brasso but I'm excited to have found them. One spot on the bottom is frozen up that controls the stitch length selector but I'll get it free. Everything else works smoothly. I'm fairly new to this board and wonder if the pictures of these old beauties are in the pictures section or somewhere within this section. The Eldredge was originally made in Chicago, then merged with the June Co. (maker of the Jennie June treadle) and after 1890 became the National Sewing Machine Co. which then became New Home and eventually became Janome. Very interesting history. Thanks for directing me to pictures of old machines.
Barb it is really interesting when you try to research these old companies! But, don't forget the Free Sewing Machine Company who merged with New Home in 1927 - then Free/New Home merged with National in the early 1950's right before the Japanese Janome company bought them out in 1954! It gets really interesting doesn't it? Congratulations on Madame Martha!

Nancy