View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
huntersgrammie

hi friends, i have a question unrelated to the mystery boxes so here goes, how many fat quarters to a yard of fabric. i am attempting to make a quilt with a block that requires only 3 different fabrics. the problem for me is that i don't know how to figure out how much fabric i need to make the quilt. the block is 10 1/2 inches unfinished with a center square 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 outer rectangles 4- 2 1/2 x 3 inches and 4 - 2 1/2 x 5 inches. with the trim being 2 - 1 1/2 x 4 1/2; 2- 1 1/2 x 6 1/2; and 4 - 1/1/2 x 2 1/2 i don't know if this helps the pattern is called garden fence, i suppose if i told you that to begin with i wouldn't have had to put all the dimensions in there lol. oh well rookie what can i say. i contacted the person who posted the pattern but she doesn't want to give out to much information as she is thinking of publishing it. she did tell me that i could get the 2 blocks out of the fat quarter. so the rest is up to me and YOU if i can get some help. i figured i would make it 10 blocks by 8 blocks not even sure if that will be the size i want but i can add a border or 2 to help the size along. i just don't want to start making it until i am sure i have enough fabric to make it. i could also make 2 different colored blocks and alternate them on the quilt. i am using white fabric for the trim around the blocks just so you know. i have a ton of white fabric. sorry for going on but i have nowhere to turn as i am attempting to do this without anyone i know here to help. so your it. hope you have big shoulders. thanks so much for listening, rachelle