View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
burchquilts

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
Here is a picture of my scrappy WIP. (It was taken at an angle to keep my shadow off it- it is not QUITE as wonky as it looks here!)

As I posted on the other thread, I did everything wrong with this one- notably messing up the measurements when I changed the size of it, but also getting my seam allowances wrong, plus not being able to keep the strips straight, no matter now much I starched (Wish I had foundation pieced, especially the piano keys). So I have cut back and cut back to square it up a bit and the thing will disappear altogether if I don't finish it soon!

For our virtual quilting retreat today I worked to get all the strips the same length and straight, and to sew them together. (I may cut it back a bit when I add the outer border- you can see that I ended up with some unfortunate piecing there but THAT IS OK because it is no longer in strips all over my sewing room, with bits of the many fabrics lying around "just in case"!)

But I have decided that it needs another strip in the space I have left- having two sets of points coming together all wonkily is more than even I can bear. What do you think would work in that space- something easy to make and forgiving for a bad measurer?!

When that is done I think it will be about 27 inches square and I MAY use it as a medallion and make a small quilt/throw out of it. If I can bear to work on it any more lol. It has 278 pieces in it already.

Edited to say- as I look at this photo I can see that I was right in thinking I have no sense of value- it is nearly all the same value and then there are a few dark brown/pink combos that just jump out. If there had been more of them it might have made a pattern lol. Maybe I need a border in those browns/pinks to wake it up a bit? Views?

Learning by doing.... that's me- please help!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349282[/ATTACH]
I'm all about brown & pink so any time that can be worked into a quilt, I'm on board! But in this case, I really think that would be a nice addition. Plus, it would enlarge this (which I think you wanted to do). I love this so far & can't wait to see it all done.