View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
IAmCatOwned

I make a scrap quilt once a year (on average) to use up all my scraps from the previous year. Pick a pattern. Then throw on an audiobook or music and press, press, press, then cut, cut, cut. With any leftovers, make a string quilt. That will eliminate all your scraps and get you ready to start over.

You can also cut into predetermined sizes. I cut into 2 inch, 2.5 inch squares and strips. I only save blue fabrics in 5 inch blocks because of a planned quilt. In the past, I also cut out shapes (triangles, tumblers), but I have completed those quilts so no longer save them.

Some of my scrappy patterns have turned out better than others. This quilt was made from thousands of precut 2.5 inch square and 2 7/8 inch triangles cut over many years from my scraps. The diamond pattern actually doesn't show that well in a sunny area, but my Mom has east and north windows in her bedroom and it looks GREAT! [ATTACH=CONFIG]349592[/ATTACH]

This one, needed to have a solid or near solid background. I used various beige/tan fabrics, but too busy for me. Fortunately, the recipient likes it just the way it is (lots of halloween fabrics).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349594[/ATTACH]

Finally, this triple irish chain was made with floral strips. I am currently making it again just using scrap 2.5 inch strips I have been saving. The white helps everybody play nicely together. You need 60-80 strips to make a full sized quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349593[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 147468413.jpg   382075145.jpg   207734943.jpg