View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 AM
margecam52

What are you watching when sewing the seams? If you are watching the needle, then you probably will not get a perfectly even 1/4" seam. I have marked my machine bed...I use blue painter's tape (comes off easily), and I have made a fine point mark on my clear plastic foot (on one machine, the mark is there already...at the center..but I put a mark for just shy of 1/4" from the center of the needle out).

My eye is at the front of the foot (about 1/2 to 1 inch in front of the needle)..my tape is bright enough and that tiny bit of a difference in height off the bed of the machine is also a reminder...that I find watching the needle throws me off a bit...so I just keep an eye on keeping the fabric against the edge of the tape (used to use 2 layers, but one works) but mostly keep looking just in front of the needle...it's like driving a car...you tend to drift to where you are looking, not where you need to be.

Originally Posted by sewhat540 View Post
Thank you for your interest in my problem. I also notice that every 1/4 is not the same with or without a foot. I do have a foot but now am wondering if I should just mark my machine and call it a day.