Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
In my purse, I carry a little 'just in case' kit. It has sewing machine needles, thread, a generic bobbin with another color thread (just in case), small scissors, and a scrap of fabric. Then if I do see a machine I'm interested in, I can usually try it out. It has come in handy!! I keep a pair of tweezers in my billfold, and have for years. They come in handy for a lot of things... Have fun Charlee!!
On another note, I just got a green/white featherweight 221 today. I had to take the bobbin assembly apart some to get the finger ( or what ever it is called ) back in place at the top. At one time I lost the little screw that held the assembly together, and found it after sweeping my floor. It now runs great after oiling it all over. I need help in dating it as everywhere I look, I can't find serial numbers after EX. This one has EY 851310, and yes I looked several times to make sure it wasn't EV or EX. Does anyone know where I can date it? I got just the machine, no case, and no attachments. I paid $100.00 for it, which I thought was a good price for it. Any one have a spare case they want to sell reasonably?
Janis, according to Nancy Johnson-Srebro and her book "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable," the EY series of FW's were produced between October 1966 to October 1968. FW's were made until about 1970. The book in contradictory, though, as this information is found on page 191, but if you look at the table on page 39 - it shows the EY as 1969? At least for the 221k/222k - made in Britain?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-17-2012 at 05:48 AM.