Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The words "court", "lawsuit", and "subpoena" often strike fear into the hearts of many people. But if one can change their reaction to such terms, and see them as merely actions that a person can take -- like the action of waiting for a credit return to show up on your credit card, or a bill to arrive in the mail at month's end, or the action of applying for a driver's license (or any other license), or registering a birth, car, trademark, etc. -- one will find that it is merely a process of law and not really intimidating at all.

I was sued by my attorney, once years ago following a divorce, for not paying his bill in full immediately. The fool had written my financial statement for the divorce so he KNEW I had virtually nothing with which to pay him in full. He appeared in court in full 3-piece business suit (probably cost him $750 at the time!) with HIS attorney dressed the same way. They pompously stood at one podium before the judge, while little old me stood alone with no representation, properly but inexpensively dressed, at another podium. Ultimately I had to believe in the system because there was nothing else I COULD do. The judge, who MUST have seen how unbalanced this situation appeared, cut the attorney's charge in half and gave me time to pay it!

So the money wouldn't appear to come from my checking account, I went to my attorney's attorney's office with a check written on a friend's checking account for about half the amount the judge had ordered. I presented the check and said I had no more money and only a part-time job. The attorneys took the check as payment in full......ultimately 1/4 of the original charge!!

My point is, if I had quaked in fear of being sued, I would have dragged yet another attorney to court with me after being sued, and ended up with not only the first charge, but a second hefty one as well.

Often it is much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Jan in VA