Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
HilaryK8

I'm so sad I didn't find this board sooner! I'm a new quilter. I am currently working on a sampler quilt (among other things). It's my first sampler and I fell in love with the process of choosing fabrics for just one block and not committing to an entire quilt. I love that each block is in itself like it's own little quilt. So I found myself in the craft section at Barnes and Noble the other day. (because when I'm not quilting, I'm reading!) I found the Farmer's Wife Sampler Book and just had to buy it because I myself AM a farmer's wife and recently learned about sampler blocks. It was like it was put there on that shelf just for me.

So I have this book and I am utterly excited and overwhelmed by it. I've seen two types of FWS quilts. (1) Scrappy Style and choosing fabrics from your stash that fit the block. And (2) Pre-choosing coordinating fabrics and doing all the blocks out of those few colors.

What did you gals choose? Are there any pro's and con's to either way? And if I choose coordinating fabrics, how much do you think i'll need? As a beginning quilter, will I be able to tackle this project? ALL advice is appreciated.