View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 PM
DawnFurlong

Lots of good advice here from people who have been around longer than I. I was machine shopping earlier in the year, primarily because I wanted a larger throat space (I have a Janome MC4800 - which is about 8 years old - still works just fine). I gave myself headaches (and was about half nauseous) by the time I looked at all the machines, researched the machines, asked questions about various machines. I kept thinking - so much money!!!

I didn't rush out to buy one that was touted as an excellent deal (and it probably was a pretty good deal). Instead, my research led me to think about what was really important to me. I already have a machine with a lot of extra stitches. Ask me how many I had used up to that point?! Maybe 2. What I really needed was straight stitch and a larger throat. Simple. And was leaning toward a straight stitch only machine (Brother 1500). And then I found a vintage machine. Didn't even know I was looking for it! Mechanical, straight stitch only - LOVE, LOVE this machine! I especially love how it feels to FMQ on this machine. While the throat isn't as big as the Brother would have been, it is bigger than my Janome, plus feels bigger than it is because the "column" is more upright (I quilted a king sized quilt on it).

All that to say - ditto to what the others have said - and don't let yourself feel rushed! Evaluate what you really need. Consider what you want and can afford. And try out all levels of machines - not just the high end ones they are pushing.

Good luck in your search! :-)