View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Retired Fire Chief

I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky and spent a lot of time at my grandmothers farm in Elizabeth Town. As a kid, grandma's house was 100 years old and they only heat was provided by the wood stove in the kitchen, one in the living room, parlor, grandma's bedroom on the 1st floor and my aunt's bedroom on the second floor. My cousin's bedroom where I slept didn't have heat, just relied on what ever heat filtered from my aunt's adjacent bedroom. I slept on a feather bed that once warmed by your body kept your back and sides warm, on top Grandma layered on family made quilts, the only form of blankets she had. I loved the rainbow of colors of all the quilts and felt very secure under all the weight of the numerous layered quilts. To this day I love heavy weighted blankets and quilts on my bed, of course my dear hubby who grew up in Michigan with central heating says he can't move under the weight, but I'm happy as a clam. Now when I quilt I naturally gravitate to the old fashion prints and patterns - that's definately my comfort zone!