View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Tashana

Default Rescuing an old quilt

To all you tallented and inventive people out there I need your help. I have a quilt that is fairly old. I do not know its exact age, but old enough for the batting to be completely disintegrated. That being said, the pachwork and the backing are intact. I would like to replace the old batting with new one, but I do not know if that is even possible. Here are more details about the quilt - the patchwork is done by machine, there is no binding (I think they used self binding technique) and it is hand quilted. The batting, or what is left of it, resembles a paper napkin/cleanex that has been through the washer and drier and is now in the corner of your pants pocket - you know the state I am talking about. The quilt has sentimental value for me. This quilt and its mate (which is in much better condition) are the first quilts I ever saw and they were given to my family when we moved to Canada as refugees after the civil war in our country. I am using the quilt as it is daily, it is in my family room, but if it is possible I would like to rehabilitate it. I do not know what is going to happen to the fabric, if I start tearing it all apart...