View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 AM
roserips

My grandmothers quilted and I grew up with a quilt my mothers, mother made it went every where with me. When I turned 12 my mother taught me to sew and told me if I wanted new clothes, I would have to make them my self. She had a wonderful stash then to select from and I loved going home after school and sewing up a dress to then wear the next day. My senior year of high school I took an art studio class and had to contract to create so many projects. Short of cash I went to my own scrap heap of cordoroy's and created a twin size quilt which I turned in for one of my projects. My art teacher was so impressed that she wanted to share with the Home Ec teachers, I tried to tell her that they wouldn't be impressed. I was right they wanted to know how wide my seam allowances were and why I turned the grain line differnt directions on my top and then why on earth I would use flannel to back it with. Well I was glad my art teacher appreciated it and I loved it as well. So that was my first quilt and many more have followed.