View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
quiltingshorttimer

Smile

My mother was always sewing clothes, etc for all of us so the machine was always available. She basically taught me how to sew despite the fact that I did take a home ec class in jr. high--my mom's way was much more pragmatic--bought an easy pattern and said do it--ask if you have problems! But the first "quilt" I made was in 4th grade when we studied US pioneers--we had to do something for class. My effort was hand sewn and mess! So my Mom made me re-do it correctly and I still have it! (it's a doll quilt)
I sewed clothing for my kids when they were little, horse show clothing and other stuff and always wanted to quilt--but the pre-rotary cutting era was too daunting for me!
when I moved to the "country" the local guild has beginner classes for the price of membership yearly--2.5 years ago my daughter and I took the class and I've been hooked every since! I find I really don't like making clothing anymore(especially after recently sewing some wedding clothing with that awful, fraying, slick material!) but find that quilting allows me to be creative and productive and I just love it!