Thread: Dog lovers
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
...My DS & DIL have a pure-bred Basset (a "divorce dog"... friends were getting divorced, couldn't keep Sky so my kids took her) who is a total hoot! One time we looked in & with her tiny little stumpy legs, she had climbed up on the dining room table & was standing there, big as Dallas! Another time, she saw a stick of butter on a plate on the table & when nobody was looking, she wrapped her tongue around it & we saw it just as the last of it went down her gullet... my DH still laughs about that. She also throws her own toys when nobody will play with her. ...
I laughed till I cried at this! It reminds me of our adorable little cocker spaniel Roux. We adopted her from a shelter in 1989. She was terribly sick with parvo when we brought her home, and we were afraid she wouldn't make it. For weeks after the symptoms eased all she did was lie around. We knew that she'd finally regained health when we walked into the dining room ready for a birthday party and found her standing on the table lapping at a huge crater in the middle of the cake. It must have been that peanut butter/chocolate frosting. Oddly that didn't make her the least bit sick. She never got up on a table again that we know, but one time my DH turned his back on a large ham sandwich that he'd just constructed, and the next thing he knew it had vanished without a trace. Pickles, onions, mustard, mayonnaise, ham, cheese, bun - no evidence to be seen, and not more than a minute had gone by. It was either Roux's doing or he only imagined he'd made that sandwich. He was sure he hadn't eaten it himself, and nobody else was around.

I would say that a cocker spaniel can be a loving, family friendly dog, but they tend to be stubborn and house trained only when it's not raining. The one we had didn't shed at all, but every 6 weeks she grew a grocery bag full of excess hair that had to be trimmed. I learned to do that myself. She was what is called a "sable" - colors that are not accepted as standard. It may have been the reason someone left her at the pound.
Attached Thumbnails roux.jpg