Thread: Dog lovers
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
My favorite dog ever was a Wheaten Terrier. I loved that dog like a kid. He was so laid back and smart! He knew what I was thinking before I thought of it. He was a hunter and a tracker but a real pussycat. If I could afford one again and if I weren't so old, I'd have another.
Just wanted to mention that probably any dog breed you can think of has a rescue organization working hard to find homes for dogs who need them. Wheatens are no exception: http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/ (There may be more than one for that breed, but that's as far as I looked.) They usually have foster homes where the dogs are brought to live for a time so that someone familiar with the breed can evaluate the dog, stabilize any health issues, and write up information for prospective forever homes. There is almost always an adoption fee that covers the organization's costs in providing vet care, but it's usually quite a bit less than you'd pay to have a purchased dog spayed/neutered/immunized/chipped, which generally is what's been done by the time you adopt from these groups.