Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM
AndiR

Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
OK, my 2 cents worth ... I agree with everything INCLUDING changing the needle. BUT, I only saw one answer about how to tie off 'good' stitches when taking out the bad ones.

I was taught to pull out (don't cut/rip) enough thread so you have top and bottom threads long enough to put into a hand sewing needle. Pull top thread to the back, put in hand sewing needle, make a couple of tiny stitch through backing and batting only, then insert needle in between the top and bottom, for about an inch or two, pull thread a little tight, trim thread and ends of thread will be pulled back into the quilt when you release the tension you had on the thread.

If that doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll try and explain it better.
I do something similar. I pull out enough thread as you said, but I take the top and bobbin thread and tie a knot close to the surface of the fabric. Now pass the thread ends through a self-threading needle and put the point of the needle in the hole next to the knot and bring it up an inch or two away (have it pass into the batting between the quilt top and backing). Pull the needle through and 'pop' the knot into the batting like you do when you're burying a knot for hand quilting. When re-starting your stitching, overlap by two or three stitches to secure the knot even more.

If you don't have a self-threading needle, you can use a dental floss threader. Pass the straight part thru the eye of the needle, then thread the thread thru the loop. Pull the threader thru the needle and it will be threaded!! I keep a needle with a floss threader positioned in in the eye in my pincushion, ready to go whenever I need it!!