View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 AM
hunters grammy

Cool What to buy, what to buy:

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I started out with a cheap Brother machine. It is now my backup machine. One thing about Brother machines is they are good machines and reasonable.
I now have a Viking Sapphire computer machine. I love it. It has a 10 in throat and that has become a must have.
Love the needle down function and that is now a must have also. My quilting has improved so much by having a fancy machine.
Do lots of research before investing in an expensive machine.
Now Im wanting an embroidery machine, it never ends.
I started out with a small Janome a long time ago - I still use it going to classes or special events - it is light weight and does a good job at sewing. I work part-time at a fabric shop that sells Babylock and Viking machines. After watching, listening and learning about our machines, I bought a Viking Sapphire 875 - I love mine too. I have now added a Viking Ruby embroidery machine.....I love it too. One good thing about Viking - the bobbins, feet and accessories are interchangeable on all Viking models. And, like Rose Marie says - the large throat is a blessing in handling large quilts. That was one of the main attractions of the Viking when I was looking for a machine. I have friends with Berninas - Try a lot of different machines - don't let them confuse you. Just try them - you'll know if you like the features and if it feels good to you when you sew - kinda like driving a new car. Make sure of warranties and if you need something replaced, repaired or just a good cleaning/tune-up - it is helpful to know a good reputable place to have it done. I am a believer in good machine maintenance and a trustworthy person that works on them. Good luck to you and let us know what you decide.....