View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 AM
ragquilter

Check with local repair shops (some dealers also repair) ask what used machines they have. If you buy from a shop instead of an individual you will get a warranty. Decide how much you can comfortably afford and stick to it. I have 4 machines, two Pfaffs that I bought from a Bernina dealer for $200 and $400 and got a years warranty and a free service at the end of the year. I bought a Singer Featheweight 75 from HSN for $212 (coupon, sale and free shipping) for different stitches (making clothes) and just bought from HSN a Singer heavy weight for $349 with lots of extras. You will find that you may need or want more machines for different things. You will at least want a back up for when you main machine is in the shop. If you decide to take classes you will want a light weight machine for that. Machines are like fabric- addictive! You did the right thing to walk away and clear your head. I always want a new machine just like anything else there is always something bigger and badder than what I have.