Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
BellaBoo
Power Poster

I've bought many used machines at yard sales, estate sales and at thrift shops. I've never paid over $35 for one. Usually the bobbin is missing or there is no machine needle. That doesn't bother me but it's a good bargaining tool to say a part is missing. Plug it in and hear it run and check the bobbin winder to make sure it works. I was buying two or more machines a month at sales. I cleaned them up, checked them out and donated them to 4H and Scout troops. It was fun to sew on many different types of machines and learn about them. I got over my hesitation of taking one apart to see what was wrong. Most were simple fixes that was obvious to see. Gears jammed, set screws loose, belt slipped off, etc. I don't buy any now unless I know of someone that needs a good machine. One machine was a great find but a sad find too. I found a Pfaff with all accessories and the man said it wouldn't turn on and he was selling it for $25 or better offer in cabinet. He didn't know there was an off/on switch and didn't care enough to read the manual. Just wanted to clear out everything from his mother's house in one day.