View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 AM
OMyStarz

Question 1911 Singer 66? ID and Cleaning Help?

Hi everyone! I've been reading your forum for a little while and just joined yesterday. I love looking at all of your vintage machines!

My neighbor was going to throw away his old Singer and I have rescued it, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It's a total enigma! It has a crinkle finish, has an aftermarket motor/light (I think, it is a Dayton?), and the serial numbers tells me it's from 1911. I think it's a 66? The case is no help since someone has just sat it in a newer type stand/desk, part of it is even plywood where it has been repaired.

Can anyone help me identify this machine? I've looked exactly everywhere with no luck. Was it a treadle machine and electrified later? I've read that some older machines were crinkled and electrified in the 50's or 60's, could this be the case?

Also, I'm sure you can see how rough it is, I've taken it apart and have cleaned the lint out of everything and plan on oiling it eventually, but I'm not having any luck with the plated parts, I have soaked them in WD-40 and tried polishing them with metal polish, but they are still brown-ish colored. I am also totally worried about the crinkle...how do I clean that without ruining it?

Here are some pics to help....so sorry for the long first post but this machine has me totally intrigued.

Thanks so much everyone for looking!