View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It's not without it's challenges though. When I removed the machine from the carry case, I saw the two washers and screws. When I removed the screws, I realized one of the "washers" I was holding was a tension disk. There was a look of horror at the machine, til I saw all 3 are where they belong. I think. It may be a little fun to get her tension set right, if that one belongs, and I have a washer in the tension assembly.
I had a chance to oil, grease and test sew on it last night.
Well, I don't care if there's a washer in the tension assembly or not. (I don't think there is, it all looks uniform)
The tension is perfect, even on zigzag, which blew my theory up about vintage machines with cams and zig zag tension. I don't want to even take a screwdriver to this one at all.

My only small complaint is that the fiber gear sounds a little loud, even after greasing. It looks fine, but for the "sawdust" in the area that says it ran dryish in the past. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Originally Posted by AuntieD View Post
Great looking machine!!
Thanks AuntieD, it's growing on me. The 400 and 500 series never really caught my eye, but I'm starting to really enjoy how solid a machine they are.

Originally Posted by coloradosky View Post
I will gamble on the fact that you will now be shopping for all this extra cams available on Ebay! - Just gotta have them. Congratulations. What a beautiful setup.
LOL! I have all the cams I want for the 403A, I think the two can share. I don't have the whole set, but I have the ones I can see myself using. (0 - 11 I think it is) Doesn't mean I don't haunt fleabay though.