View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by QuiltinMama View Post
Write down what you want in a machine such as wide throat space, blanket stitch, etc... I have to have the needle down option on my machine and I love the option that i have to make the stitches wider .... it is like everything else you have to do your research and if there is a quilt show near you ...go and try out the machines ... and sometimes at the shows they give Great discounts ...!!
hugs

quiltinmama
Excellent, excellent advice. When it was time for me to upgrade, there were several things I wanted, and they were more throat space, feed dogs down, and just more bells and whistles. I've found out since that the thread cutter, needle down, and all the other options I have are wonderful. I'm learning things about my machine all the time. Horizon 7700 Janome.

So much depends on you--your sewing skills, your tendency to stick with things, do you want to continue to learn new things, or are you content with the style of sewing you have, etc? People have made beautiful quilts for years and years without very expensive machines. Many will continue to do so. If you are a very casual seamstress, then don't spend too much money. If your DH opposes it, be careful what you spend, etc. Your situation is uniquely yours. We will try to be supportive as a group.

(I bought a new Horizon 2 years ago. Before that I have had 2 Pfaffs in the last 18 years and loved them both--just wanted a more bells and whistles--plus I loaned out one of my Pfaffs and it was returned with the door that closes over the bobbin case.free arm part broken --the door doesn't latch closed anymore making the machine a pain to use--but it sews just fine!)