Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM
OdessaQuilts

Lisa, you're doing just fine. I agree that an open-toe foot and going at a moderate to slow speed will help. Also on sharper curves, you will definitely want to stop every few stitches to adjust the piece ever so slightly to keep the curve smooth. The gentler the curve, the less often you should have to do this step.

As for the swing of the needle and pivoting, I have found that it helps to pay attention to where your needle is going to stop. Lift the presser foot, turn the piece and make sure that the needle is going to "swing" to the proper place when you start to go.

Okay, that doesn't make quite enough sense to me, either, and I've been sewing for far too long! lol

Assume you are satin stitching around a square, with the body of the square to the left of your machine. When you come to the first corner, leave the needle down on the right swing (off the edge of the square). Lift the presser foot, turn the square counter-clockwise to do the next side. Proceed. As you come to the next corner, try leaving the needle in the down position on the LEFT swing (in the body of the square). Lift the foot and rotate the piece another 90 degrees and then sew to the next corner. Now stop, remove your work and look at your corners. The first corner you did will have a little square of fabric hanging out at the corner, or an "L" shape open. The second corner you did should be completely solid.

So, as you can see, you need to pay attention to which side of the swing you need your needle to be left in the fabric and consider where the swing will take you once you turn your piece. That way you will have a nice, solid line of satin stitching.

The best advice, you've already been given: keep practicing. You're really doing just fine!

I hope this helps.