View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
#1piecemaker

Originally Posted by heyjami View Post
I can't believe how much I've missed the board! I've been drowning in my new Engineering job. I was doing those Boomerang swaps and really getting in great practice for my paper piecing skills.

But then I found myself with a ton of UFO's (lots of blocks from swaps but no tops/quilts) so I set my goal to finish those tops before doing another swap. But what happened is that I quit sewing all together!

What is it about swaps that gets us to dig into our stash and pattern books and then do other quilting projects? I may not be finishing my UFO's but oh well, I'm building a big pile of UFO options! hee hee

I wish there was a SWAP that made me finish these UFO's. I have 2 quilts that need to be stippled and I really should start with them. Ever notice how much of a cramp it puts in your quilting MoJo when you try to "schedule" or "plan" the projects? I really just have to let it all go and do what feels right that day (and then somehow I get a ton done!).

I suppose that's right, since the rest of my life is all about planning/scheduling/etc (I live by my Outlook calendar most days). So my soul-enriching hobby must be completely uninhibited by schedules and task lists. haha

Have you all found this to be true too? Creativity is cramped in the sewing room when there are too many requirements imposed? Like promised presents, finishing UFOs, etc.
I try not to let my creativity to get stifled. I always keep several projects going and I love trying new things. I also love it when I finish about 3 different projects in just a short time so that I have that feeling of accomplishment. Don't let the job bog you down. When you settle in for the evening, sit with some cloth in hand. It is sooooo relaxing!