Thread: Hello from Ohio
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM
kaysue4

Post Hello from Ohio

Hello out there to all of the quilters. I can't wait to learn more from people that have done this for years.
I am working on my first quilt, it is for Civil War re-enacting. I am doing what people call a crazy quilt. I am just working on 4" blocks. I do 2 at a time to make a set of 12, then into a row of 24, of course. Then I have 12 rows already sewn together. I think I am just going to keep working on 12 rows until I get it big enough for my king size bed.
I think I read somewhere that it is around or over 800 squares. I am cutting some of my squares, and buying some.
Otherwise, I am a mom of four grown "boys." I also have 5 grandchildren. So, I try to keep busy. I also have two dogs, and waiting for a puppy to be able to leave her mom. I just had to put down my 14 or 15 year old beagle.
I got into re-enacting 3 years ago and my main goal is to teach people. I re-enact for the South as a poor widowed woman, that had her small, rented, farm burned down by the North. I felt that everyone does the rich person, and I am not wealthy, by far. I fell in love with it. The weekends without electronics, and just talking to people. I stay in a canvas tent, even in 40 F degrees. I put on lots of clothing at night and that is another reason I am making a quilt.
After I learn to do quilting, my mom passed away in November last year, and also my mother-in-law, I want to take my mom's old clothing and make quilts for the grandchildren. I am not sure what size quilts that I am going to do for them yet, or how big the squares.
Ok, so I guess that is about enough, oh also, I have Fibromyelgia, so everything is a challenge for me on a daily basis.
Thanks,
Kimberly Moffitt Adams

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: pm to member