Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I'll never complain when my hubby wants to go to a gun shop!! At one shop, the shop owner's mother brought in a Singer 401A for him to give to me. At some time my hubby had told them that I liked vintage sewing machines.
All I know about the 401's is the fact that they are a slant machine. I did download the manual for it, so I'll have to study that. Does anyone have any extra slant attachments they want to sell, also the cams for it? I just got the machine and the zigzag foot and one bobbin. I see that it is a 66 bobbin. Am I still better off using the 66 bobbins from sew classic than the ones that Singer has out? Any extra help on this machine will be appreciated. Thanks
Janis, I sold 5 machines yesterday to get my herd down under 50 machines, but the ones I won't sell are my 400's and 500's! That 401a is suppose to be the top of the line for that series of machines. You don't need the cams to sew - it does several decorative stitches without the cams! It does take regular drop in class 66 bobbins - not the ones from Walmart or JoAnnes, but good metal bobbins! I only use vintage bobbins on my vintage machines so I can't critique Sew Classic's bobbins, but others on here say they are fine! The slant feet are available from Sew Classic as I bought a 1/4" from them - works great. You will love that machine when you start sewing with it! I really like my slant machines, and I am always looking for more of them!

Nancy