View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM
mpspeedy

If it takes the little cards they may be hard to come by. I own one of the first embroidery machines that Bernina sold. I have had it almost 20 years and have purchased a lot of cards for it. When I went to replace it I looked for a machine that also used the cards and a USB stick. The only one I could find was a Brother machine. Since Brother held the orginal patent that my Bernina machine was based on the cards are compatable. I like having a seperate machine for embroidery as it allows me to have something being embroidered while I am using my regular machine for sewing or quilting. I still have both my original Bernina Deco and the newer Brother embroidery machine. What I don't like about the newer machine is that it loads from the opposite side so I can not use the many accessories I purchased for the first machine on it. The cards however are compatable. Both machines use the PES format. I paid at least $1800 almost 20 years ago for the first embroidery machine and probably have that much tied up in embroidery cards and CDs. The newer Brother machine cost less than half of that and also has a USB port and a bigger sewing area. If you can get the used machine for say a third of the original price and the hoops etc. for it are in good shape it is probably a good buy. Each machine has a lot of designs built in also.