Thread: Unappreciated
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM
May in Jersey

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I was surprised by my nephew's reaction: I made him a quilt when he was around 9. He watched me make it and his mother, my sister, said that he always remade the bed if she didn't put it on top. It has lasted long enough that he is 41 years of age and still using it.Perhaps I ought to contemplate a 'new' one?
Yes, make him a 'big boy quilt', he will surely use and treasure it.

You never know how people will react to handmade gifts. I was so surprised when my neice Judy, now age 40, she told me she still had the little crocheted purse I made her when she was about 7 yrs old. Double surprise since her mother never appreciated anything home or hand made, always needed a price tag on a gift to be able to appreicite it. Come to think of it neice's father, my brother Jim, called me the other week and mentioned he's still using the quilt I made him a few years ago. I made the quilt when he, a recent widower, moved into his new house in PA.

You know what hurts most about our hand made gifts not being appreciate is not the time or money we spent on it, it is all the love we put into it. I know when making a quilt for someone I think about them and little memories from over the years pass through my mind so if they turn their noses up at my gift it seems as if they don't care about our relationship at all.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 07-22-2012 at 06:32 AM.