Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by ssgirly View Post
I was wondering for those of you who have bought second-hand machines without any sort of dealer involved what I should be on the look out for before buying. Also, if there are brands that seem to hold up better or brands to stay away from. Anything is helpful. Thanks!
I bought my Viking #1 from ebay. I checked his sales history to see what kind of rep he had and then his return policy. I got a 2 yrs warranty from him. He was great, the ad said it came with everything that was orginal for the machine so when I got it I checked and there was a few things missing; I emailed him and that same week I got the stuff in the mail. I had problems with the thread breaking and couldn't get it to stop and I paid 25 to have USP to box it up so that it would be insured and the seller paid to have the machine shipped to him and fixed. During this time I did go ahead an buy a new machine but because the seller was so good I can now sell my Viking #w/embroidery machine and not have to worry about anything going wrong. If you go to a yardsale or something like that test it out bring some thread a fabric just in case the seller has none. Make sure it has all necessary things like foot pedal, bobbin/case ect. I love Vikings; I just bought a new one because they are made to last. The Viking #1, was said to be the best Viking ever made and alot of people keep them as a second machin or backup. I think Kenmores are good and the older Singers. My daughter has my 26yr old Singer and it still works great. Good luck on your search and try to check out in your area what used machines go for so you have an idea or even what a new machine is so that you don't pay too much. Somepeople don't realize how much some things go down in value.