View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Monroe

I'm not the type to take many classes- can't afford to, and too many Quilt Police. I took one several years ago on machine quilting at the LQS. The instructor was rude. She spent more time showing off her small quilts and discussing her fee structure than actually teaching, and her quilting wasn't too terrific when seen up close. Almost an hour was wasted showing people how to thread their many different machines and looking in the manuals for how to adjust the tension- something the participants should have known before class. She disparaged my Brother machine as an inexpensive beginner model (60 stitches CS6000i), as everyone else had Janomes and Berninas. Some folks thought she was just being cute- definitely not. Got a few good tips, but Never took a class there or with her again. The instructor sets the tone for the class.
On the other hand, I recently took a class with Bonnie Hunter in VT. Her patterns are so simple I didn't need a class but went for the fun, and had a great time. She did spend about 15 minutes helping several folks determine their true 1/4" seam alignment, and did it as a true teacher by explaining and showing how to make adjustments. Then we were sewing strips, listening to James Taylor, and having bits of Show and Tell from participants. Big difference. Some folks brought their 221's but I decided to leave mine home and bring the ever reliable Brother. Bonnie had already been teaching for 3 days straight and we were the last class, but she was very professional and didn't let it show how tired she must have been. I later caught up on her blog and she's been battling sciatica. Taking a class with her is worth the money for the experience.
I wish instructors would have a class that meets maybe 45 minutes before the main class to help folks set up their machines, pick fabrics, gather supplies, etc. It is disheartening to waste good class time for those who are truly not close to being ready. An assistant could help the stragglers. I've spent time helping others in classes, but eventually have to do what I went to the class to learn or it's a total waste. I'm sure it's difficult for the teachers as well. I used to teach Nursing courses and being prepared was expected from Day 1 so precious class time wasn't wasted. Learning was encouraged, and those needing a bit of extra help could catch up another time. No sarcasm allowed!