Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM
spokanequilter

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
Well, so that's what the other side of the fence looks like! Gee, I'd like to be there! I'm one of those "a tad too obsessive compulsive types" who will re-do a whole block if it doesn't turn out perfect, and will rip out a whole set of blocks if they don't line up perfectly, and I drive myself absolutely nuts getting everything in perfect alignment, with perfect points, and everything square, and the binding properly sew on, with the back done by hand, and so on, and so on, ad. nauseum. This is why one person can do 40 - 60 quilts in one year, and I'm lucky to get 12 or more done. I would love to "sew with abandon" and not care if they line up, and just get something finished. I've even taken to making smaller quilts. So if anyone has a magic wand that could fix me up, I'd appreciate it! I did talk to my doctor to see if I should be medicated, and he just laughed at me and told me it was just my personality type, and please let him know if I start anything strange like washing my hands 50 times an hour, or performing rituals prior to each bite of food. I think the word he used was "meticulous". I can tell you that "meticulous" people have very clean and neat homes, awesomely organized sewing rooms, and make very few quilts every year because they spend just as much time with their seam ripper as they do with their sewing machine. So positively revel in what you have ladies! It's a gift! Trust me, it's a very wonderful, very freeing gift, and I envy you!

I admit to being one of those meticulous quilters as well. My seams match, points are pointy and not cut off, and I square up as I go along. I pre-wash always and press the fabric before cutting and I attach the bindings by machine, but finish them on the back by hand.

My goal isn't to just finish it in order to make as many quilts as I can, but to do my best to create a beautiful quilt. I make probably less than 10 quilts a year along with a few wallhangings and maybe some smaller projects like candle mats or placemats. I think each of us should follow our inner spirit to create quilts that we love to give to those we love or to keep for ourselves. After all, it doesn't matter that one quilter makes 60 quilts a year and another only makes 5. We all get satisfaction and joy from the process. So the quilt police can just take the day off - don't judge us!!