View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Monroe

I had 3 knee replacement surgeries last year and am still pretty crippled, trying to find someone else to fix bilateral tendon scraping problems. I finally worked out a system that helps me go sewing at the Guild. I use a sturdy canvas tote bag for putting my lightweight Brother into the car which is backed right up to the front steps. A pretty lawn just isn't important to me these days, and sometimes I leave the car parked right there. It bothers some neighbors, but I no longer care. The height of the top step is almost the same as the cargo door of my Forester. I use a folding luggage rack to drag everything into the VFW and am always embarrassed when someone 20 years older offers to help, though I do accept. I use at least 1 crutch, so everything has to be brought in with 1 trip. Sometimes I supplement with a small cross body messenger bag. The Brother is much easier to lift than most members' machines, and is perfectly fine unless sewing layers of denim. Sturdy tote bags are wonderful for everything. I've had people remark about how much "stuff" is in the back of my car, but it saves me many painful steps if I carry things like recycling items to the car each time I am going out, then only make a trip to the recycling center when convenient. The luggage rack, sturdy folding chair or walker, and pillow live in the car now, along with crutches. Practical is much more important then pretty when mobility is minimal. I have some old cast iron machines, and love my old Kenmore, but it's too heavy to travel. I worry the FW or 301's bobbin case will be "misappropriated", so they stay home. It takes a lot of effort to load and unload the car, so now I only go for group sewing days of at least 4 hours, and load the car the night before or I get too tired or in pain. Sometimes I take too much "just in case" stuff that stays in the car unless needed- extra fabrics, backings, etc. Other times I talk myself out of taking things, then of course actually need them. The best thing to do is get a lightweight reliable machine for traveling, and accept help when it's offered.