Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Miriam and Nancy, thanks for the info on the Singer 401s. I have read the instruction book and now know how, maybe to use the machine. I think I'll like it a lot better than I first thought. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't another black Singer, but now the tan color of it is growing on me. Especially after I cleaned it, oiled it and cleaned the outside with the good old machine oil. It now shines! Now to look for the other feet and cams it could have with it..... the hunt is on. I knew that I had some other attachments that weren't low shank and looked at them today. Unfortunately they are long shank.
I am still learning things about the Singer 401. It does not take high shank attachments. It takes SLANT shank attachments - sew-classic has some as well as good bobbins. Friday, I gave a sewing lesson to a lady. She bought her Singer 401 from me in December when I showed her the basics. But she called with a bunch of questions. I spent a couple hours answering her questions and showing her how things work. In the process I figured out that to have the double needle centered you have to put the width selector on 2. DUH it is right on the chart under the lid. I think on that machine there will always be more to learn.