Thread: Sewing Machines
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
lalaland

I can tell you a little of what I do know. Bear in mind, there are lemons in every batch, no matter how good the reviews are.

The Brother CS6000i have mostly good reviews and I know 2 people that have one and absolutely love it. A lot of people like the newer singers, but there is a problem in that they put plastic casings on metal gears and some have a tendency to break apart within 6 months. Singer will replace the parts but it is kind of a hassle. The Brother ES2000 is practically the same as the Janome 2010 and a nice machine, with a nice selection of stitches. The only feature it doesn't have is the needle up/needle down function. I personally cannot live without that function but it might not matter to you. The Janome DC1050 costs a little more than the Brother ES2000 (but still in your price range) but it does have more stitches and the needle up/needle down function. The Project Runway machines all have received very high ratings. There are some mechanical machines that fall into your price range, but with those you will not get the convenience features, like needle up/needle down, and the locking stitch, and also the convenience placement of those, and other functions, so I'd put my money into a computerized machine.

I have purchased a few sewing machines from Kens Sewing Center in Mussel Shoals, AL. Shipping is free and he has a really good selection and very good prices, and his customer service is the best. A lot of people on the board have done business with him. You might check out his website as well.