View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
3incollege

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
In my little antique cottage, my living room has been turned into my "studio". I call it that because it IS a dedicated space for nothing but quilting (and some computer work like visiting QB or designing patterns).

It's where I have two large tables for quilting.
#1= 44"x72" and has my machine set down into one side of it, room on the other for another machine, room for a large 35"x23" Olfa cutting mat on one end and a shelf under that end. Two machines in their cases are stored under this table.
#2 = 63"x36" and has one end dedicated to a big 38"x28" ironing surface and the other end for in-progress stuff/ cutting mat surface. Under this table I store 4 very large Sterlite clear storage boxes of quilts and WIPs.

A Singer treadle base (no machine)which is now a table holds a nice wooden 5 drawer thread cabinet, 6 plastic drawers of frequently used notions, and a small 3 drawer container of of needles/thimbles. This sits on the original hearth of the cottage fireplace. Covering the non-working and closed-over fireplace is an antique quilt which hangs from a rod between the mantle supports.

I have a small 3-shelf bookcase; many of my quilting books are still in boxes in the attic.

All the fabric is stored on one wall, on shelves are strips, squares, triangles, remnant pieces, pieced blocks, small UFOs, some infrequently used notions. The fabric in yardage is stored in a closed cupboard in shelves by color.

Battings, less valuable finished quilts, a large container of solid color fabrics, and a large container of muslin, linen, and matlesse fabrics are stored in a large closet.

Just about the only thing that isn't in my 'studio' is my large design wall because there is no one full wall large enough for one. That resides in my bedroom. But I have smaller movable design surfaces in the studio. And the washer and dryer are literally around the corner, as close as they could possibly be and not be IN the studio space.

Even my comfy, TV watching/quilting chair is not in my studio! If you come to visit me, you'd best plan to sit on a rolling office chair!

Jan in VA
I would love to visit with you and sit a spell. You must live all by yourself! If I would live alone I would have what you have. Who needs a livingroom!