View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
VickyS

Awesome job and thanks for the info! The machine dried out quickly after I wiped it with tissues but the rings hung around so that's when I tried my nails on it. When I left it alone and came back the following day the rings disappeared. I'm in a wait and see mode to figure out what to do next. I've been oiling the machine regularly and using that oil (Singer brand for the machine) to rub into the machine when the oil spills out of the little drop spots. That may be what saved the finish so that the rings appeared to disappear when they dried out completely.

I had heard the finish was sometimes described as delicate but didn't really believe it. It hasn't been in the shop in over 3 years (oiling has kept it purring like a champ, along with using the grease about every 6 months or so).

Sounds like I may need to get some of that wax and give it a good rubdown. The machine otherwise is in really nice shape except for the occasional ding from moving snips around to clip threads. I'm not going to mess with the finish at this point.

I appreciate all the feedback. It can get REALLY frustrating to have problems with the older machines and this board has been awesome at coming to our aid to keep those oldies running smoothly.