View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Pepita

Since you are stippling, you are doing free motion quilting. There are lots of books out that have various 'pattern motifs' for free motion. If your quilt has blocks, I would suggest that you draw similar blocks on paper, and experiment with matching something you like to fit the block. For instance, I am doing a quilt now that has some flying geese in it. What I did which went with the wedding quilt I am making, was make a heart in the V as the bottom of the heart, and fill the heart going up. Then I make feather like movement, which is just a big parentheses on each side. Doodling around on paper really helps your brain and hand make the free motion work. If you want to have set patterns such as a traditional round feather ring, Tartan's advice is right on. If you want to learn how to free motion with out a pattern, you are going to have to take the leap, and just do it. I have found that when I was starting out, I had better success with Tartan's advice. Some of the areas I would find I could free motion and feel comfortable about doing it with out a pattern. There is also a white pen, which is made by Clover that marks on dark fabrics. I used it in a Sashido (I've misspelled) class by machine that I think Sharon Pederson taught at Quilt Festival. She gave us the Clover pens and they worked like a charm.