Thread: Sashiko
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
eparys

Thanks all for the kind replies.

It was really not too bad once I got the hang of it. Matter of fact - I actually did a lot of it in the car going to Maine last week. Also - since there are no knots - :oops: :oops: it was easy to undo uneven stitches (there were actually many that were redone). The other thing is that you do it without a hoop - The gal that did the class said that when you do it correctly you actually hold the needle still and move the fabric. I eventually got to understand why - The straight lines were straighter and it was easier to judge the stitch length!

Originally Posted by Joan
It's so beautiful. My Japanese DIL has gotten me interested in it as well.
I bought a "kit" at the Long Beach Show but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I would have loved to have taken your class. It sounds like there is more to it than I thought initially.
I'll have to find a website with some more tips. Thanks for posting it and reminding me of yet another project that I want to get to soon.
Joan - You should start it - It was really not too bad and kind of neat being so different. The only thing that I found in the pre-printed pattern I used was that it was not the same length horizontally and vertically and at the beginning I tried to "squeeze" in the same number of stitches each direction. Also I finally decided that the "centers" of the motif needed to have the same length stitches. I would be tempted to purchase a book and try another design not pre-printed.

Best of luck - when you are done I hope you will post it