View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Helen S

My mother sewed on the breakfast-nook table in a little 6 foot square area where all seven of us kids ate most meals, unless she was sewing. The room had a bench on each side with an upholstered lid, her fabrics stored inside the benches, and a table between. It was wall to wall benches and table. Her machine was rarely put away...a 1940's Singer. She sewed wedding trousseau's, took in alterations, made all our clothing, reupholstered when needed, AND she quilted! The "rag man" came by with his huge truck once a week and he gave her the "pick of the crop" at no charge because they were good family friends. (My dad was the head maintenance man at Chas Pfizer Co in their Groton, CT plant.)

All of our homes, up to now, were big enough that I always had my own sewing / craft room. I now use a corner of our master bedroom. It puts me "at risk" of DH visits, which seem to be constant some days. I'm ok with the space, would love to have much more of it, but we've downsized since retiring so I'll deal with it. I try not to identify with "my space", other than it's where I go to do what I like to do. I don't think sewing has anything to do with space available (unless you're making money at it) so much as what to do with DH! =D