View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
joyce888
Power Poster

I make pillowcases for the Conker Cancer Org. They give pillowcases to every child facing a hospital stay, regardless of the circumstance. For the last two years I've made over 300 hundred cases and this year (so far) I've made over 50 but will be starting to ramp up once it cools off. I use three coordinating fabrics for the cases and mine also have a flange. For those who don't know the fabric and supplies (thread, needles, etc.) are tax deductible.
Also the cases are scrutinized for workmanship, fabric quality, child appropriate prints, and unsafe materials (no glitter). I know this sounds picky but those that don't go to children are donated to homeless shelters, women's shelters, etc. I volunteer sorting these cases and you would not believe what comes in. We've had cases from girl scouts that were painted with fabric paint and the paint was hard and had glued the cases closed, others the fabric was so outdated that I don't even know if senior citizens would want them, others were made from drapery fabric.
If your going to put in the time and money, make sure it's something you would want your child/grandchild to receive. Sometimes these cases help a child facing some painful and scary times.