View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
sammygirlqt

Default Vintage FMQ frustrations

I am so frustrated with my Vintage machines so I hope venting here may calm me down and hopefully someone can give me some guidance. I own the following vintage machines 15-91 treadle, Singer clone 15-91 electric, 301, 404, FW. They are all in wonderful working condition and I sew on them on a regular basis. I can use any of the new universal needles for regular sewing but as soon as I lower those feed dogs, all hell happens. I have tried every type of needle on the market and the only one I can use is a 100/16 Jean needle. I use #40 weight cotton quilting thread, usually YLI or King Tut. A 90/14 will not catch the bobbin thread to make a stitch. The Jean needle makes a bigger hold than needed for this thread.

Does anyone else experience this problem, and if so, have you found a solution. I went to Sew Classic to order some original Singer Class 15x14 needles but they are out of stock. I am getting some Class 15x16 needles.

I have every do-dad possible for these machines and I love each one and they are all unique in their own way which makes them so enjoyable.