View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Thanks for the ideas Ladies .... and I look forward to some more!

I too enjoy BLTs ... and can't wait each year for locally grown tomatoes!
II especially like BLT Salads .... lots of salad greens, topped with chopped tomatoes, topped with freshly cooked chopped bacon, then topped with grated cheddar (it melts a little with the hot bacon). Your choice of dressings ... my favourites are ranch or italian or balsamic.

Another salad possibility ... Marinated Veggies ... chop or chunk all the veggies you want into a clear glass bowl. Add italian dressing, stir and let sit a few hours to marinate. If you'd like some protein, add some drained chick peas to the mix and/or at serving, top with some feta.

I too favour the crockpot during the heat. I don't hafve a BBQ, so my Hamilton Beach grill somewhat covers for that.

A favourite is Faux Deli Chicken, which mocks the deli roasted ones. Great as a meal then, and leftovers for meals after. Add a bag of the Uncle Ben's rice, and a steamer bag of veggies and it's a no work, no fuss meal.

Another favourite ... Salsa Chicken ... chicken breasts in the crock pot, with salsa dabbed on top of each piece. At the end, top with shredded parmesan and put lid back on to let melt before serving.

Or Greek Chicken ... same as salsa chicken, but using Antipasto. At end top with feta.

Dessert?? ... I'mn fine with ice cream year round!
Though if I'm looking to make something ... here's my favourite summer treat!
Key Lime Pie
1 box (.3 oz) sugar free lime jello

¼ cup boiling water

16 oz. key lime pie light yogurt (or other flavours, to match in season fresh fruit)

8 oz. cool whip, thawed

Optional: 1 prepared 9” graham cracker pie crust or loose graham cracker crumbs, or crushed chocolate wafers

Dissolve jello in boiling water. With wire whisk, stir in yogurt . With wooden spoon, fold in whipped topping. Transfer mixture to prepared crust or into individual dessert cups. If no pie crust, it's nice to sprinkle with a few crumbs, but not necessary. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 2 hours. This recipe freezes well!

And my biggest secret for hot weather cooking ... actually for all year round ... Planned Overs!!
I don't have leftovers, rather I cook doubles, triples or whatever, with their destiny planned for future meals or into the freezer.
Single portions for my own frozen dinners are stashed in the freezer, and slide right into the microwave without any fuss ... or heat added to the kitchen!

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.