Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I have replied to a couple of these type ads - someone wanting a free machine for whatever reason. Both times I told the person looking for a working machine that I had a couple 'older' machines I could give them. Both times, they declined my offer saying, "no thank you, but I want a new type machine."

I'd offer again, though! This mom would be better off with an older machine - the new ones don't go through flat felt jean's seams very well!

Nancy
My mom, who lived in Germany during WW2, has numerous favorite sayings. These are just two:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Beggars can't be choosers.

I'm always surprised at those that ask for something free, but when you offer them the free item they then state no I don't want that. It all comes down to how badly does someone want something. If they are hungry enough, then they will take the item. I have seen people take trash, item out of dumpster, and make it work. Since most folks only use the straight stitch when sewing, a vintage straight stitch machine that can stitch through heavy material is all that is needed to do the job.