Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
jennb

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I agree with Candice... to a point. If you are making honest to god tactical items, designed to be used in possibly a COMBAT situation.... you will be using at least a #69 nylon thread, 92 is you can get it and it works in your machine. MY rotory hook machines will not play nicely with that weight of thread, though the ols 27 and 128 with a vibrating shuttle handle it easily. also BAR tacks are used in a lot of places ( MOLLE strips ) and you will need a zig zag stich for that..... if you are doing it for strength in seam say to fastem the straps on... you are actually better served with a "box X" ( think seat belts) but true MOLLE strip will need bar tacks.
yes, I will be using MOLLE straps and such. Now, I can do that on my new machine just fine, but for things like bag assembly where I'm sewing pockets to sides to lining etc and will have many layers, I think it would be too rough on my motor of my embroidery machine.

What i've made to this point has not used MOLLE but he wants that and i now have a place I can get it. Ive used the BOX X for straps and such to this point with pretty decent success, but I wasn't using the heavier fabric and the traditional binding. Basically I am going to reverse engineer some gear for him and its going to be alot more labor intensive than what I've made to date.