View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Gwyn

I don't have anyone who might like to do this, but I have a suggestion:

I have used quilting in my classroom (1st grade). One way to keep things organized and of a level the children can do, I suggest the children be assigned a particular idea the then they can decide on fabrics, colors , buttons etc. I have been amazed at how well my students could quilt. The first square might be 2 pieces of fabric and some batting. It could be tied with yarn. No binding, just sew the sides closed, and mail.

The second exchange could be 4 squares, cut and pinned by the child. Stitched with Mother's help. Then add batting and backing. I would tie this one and not bind it, just stitch closed.

The focus should be teaching the skills necessary to begin sewing. Cutting, measuring, matching colors, planning, pinning, ironing. By the third quilt, you could use interesting buttons to quilt the blanket.

If the child is very young, it might be a good idea to use a piece of flannel for a batting because it is easier to get a needle through. A slender knitting needle works well for 'pre-punching' stitching holes for yarn. An embroidery hoop can be used to hold the center tight so a child can stitch letters or designs into later quilts.

My first graders made a quilt block each month. At the end of the year, we stitched them into 9-patch rag quilts. It was awesome.

Gwyn

PM me if you want my help :wink: