View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'm lost again. I have no idea who measuring can prevent puckering, but if you say so, I guess I'm just in the dark.
It really is only an issue when the quilt is quilted on a rack. A quilt must be perfect square (or within 1/2") square to quilt properly when on a rack. If it is not, as the quilt is quilted and advanced on the roller that excess fabric that is in the border (the result of NOT measuring the center but simply cutting and sewing until you reach the end) will bunch up until all of a sudden you have a big old ripple in the edge and no way to quilt it out. So you end up with a nice big pucker in the quilting or a pleat.

If you hand quilt using a lap hoop or quilt on a domestic sewing machine from the center out it is not so much an issue but if you hang the quilt up instead of laying it on a bed the wavy borders will become quite evident. So again, if you don't use a longarm, and don't enter a quilt in shows it really doesn't matter, attach the borders any way you want. But be advised, I have seen situations here on this board where it did matter even though the quilter wasn't LA and wasn't showing. She laid that quilt out on the floor and those borders looked like old glory flapping away in a hurricane! They waved more than the queen of england.