View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
hisgrace

Question Sewing Machines - new?

Hi All,

I have my mother's two old machines - one a Singer treadle (1918) and a 1960's Kenmore that's still going strong. But because I can carry neither of those behemoths anywhere (!) like to a class, DH has been talking about buying me a new one.

We took the treadle one to a shop for an overhaul last week, and DH had to take the new belt up there today, so I told him to ask the repairman his opinion of which machine was the best. From what I was seeing online, it looked like Brother machines had higher ratings.

Much to my surprise, the repairman told DH to buy neither a Singer nor a Brother - said that both companies had been bought & sold so many times that neither were anything like they used to be. He said the insides were mostly plastic and would break easily. He told DH that the most reliable ones in his opinion were Toyota (I had no idea that Toyota made sewing machines!), Janome, and another one that DH couldn't remember.

Has anyone else heard that?

At this point I'm about ready to just say, forget it, and stick with my '60s Kenmore!!

His_Grace