Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
irishrose

How very sad to see any of our oldies, but goodies, destroyed. My daughter just bought her son a Singer Simple plastic machine. They are both so pleased and I am biting my tongue. My 128 would have made a better machine for a 10 year old.

Question time. I may have found the solution of a machine I can leave at church so I don't have to dig my 301 out every time. SA has a golden tan Kenmore with a shiny finish that appears to be SS only. The motor is mounted high so the top configuration is bulky looking on the right side. The bobbin is toward the back. It doesn't seem to be too heavy and it has a decent case - and of course, a buttonholer, but no accessories though I don't need any. Anyone know anything about this one? Does it take a regular 15X1 needle? I couldn't find a model #. Do the older ones have the tension problems my 1961 Kenmore has? The bobbin is there. It has a little cage to keep it in place.

Also found a brown crinkle finish White in a cabinet. Extremely heavy and the bobbin case is gone and that's an odd one to replace. It's not coming home with me.

The Kenmore is interesting unless you have a lot of negatives - and yes, unreliable tension is a big negative.